Earthed is looking for a Chair of the Board of Trustees
About Initiative Earth and Earthed
Earthed is part of Initiative Earth, a UK Registered Charity with a mission is to enable people to restore ecosystems and revitalise community wellbeing around the world. Launched in June 2023, Earthed’s mission is to support a peer-driven, mass mobilised ecosystem restoration movement by giving anyone, anywhere, access to the skills, networks and funds they need to restore nature and learn to grow.
On the platform, members donate to access practical video courses led by Nature Teachers from around the world. They can learn how to grow food, restore their local river, harvest rainwater, start a farmers market, urban garden, reforest, increase biodiversity, prevent droughts or floods, defend against wildfires or desertification and so, so much more.
Earthed has the potential to unite people in positive, nature-centred solutions; leverage the knowledge economy to diversify and increase ecosystem restoration projects; and galvanise an accessible, peer-driven and mass-mobilised ecosystem restoration and agroecological movement on the global scale.
By 2032, Earthed aims to have enabled millions of people to participate in the global ecosystem restoration movement. Revenue generated through membership will support the running of the Charity as well as establish an Action Fund so members can apply for the grants they need to start and scale regeneration projects.
Our Trustees play a vital role in making sure that Initiative Earth achieves its core purpose. They ensure that the Charity has a clear strategy and that our work and goals are in line with our vision. They also support and challenge the leadership team to enable the Charity to grow and thrive, and through this, achieve our mission.
Board members have a collective responsibility. This means that Trustees always act as a group and not as individuals.
- Cara Delevingne, Model and actor
- Naresh Ramchandani, Writer and founder of Do The Green Thing
- James Beazley, Treasurer – Accountant and finance lead in tech
- Deepa Mirchandani – Sustainability, strategy and systems consultant
- Jack Harries – Film-maker and Earthrise founder
- Isabella Noero – Artist and activist
What we are looking for
We are looking for a dynamic Chair of the Board of Trustees to guide and support Earthed during its start-up years.
The role: has a specific leadership role with duties in chairing Trustee meetings, collaborating on strategies to ensure Earthed reaches its potential at the level of fundraising and business development, managing and developing the Board and steering board culture, and overseeing that the Charity is acting in line with good governance.
The candidate: is someone who has been involved in establishing and scaling start-up membership organisations, who has a passion for driving impact and proven fundraising success. They have experience with Charity or Board governance and a good understanding of regenerative practices.
The candidate will share a vision of a world where humans and nature thrive together and who believes in the potential of people to be regenerative forces within their environments. They are willing to bring energy, enthusiasm and commitment to the role, and who will deepen the diversity of skills and of thinking on Board.
Time commitment: the Board meets online or in London on a quarterly basis for two hours. The time commitment between these formal meetings varies depending on the time and desires and capacity of individual members.
Term: the Chair is elected for a term not exceeding three years and a retiring Chair may be re-elected by the Trustees for a further term of office. There is no limit to the number of times a Chair may be re-elected.
- Lead on the development of the Board of Trustees and ensure its decisions are implemented.
- Preside over Trustee meetings, ensuring that agendas and actions are covered and that meetings run legally and smoothly.
- Support the senior staff team.
- Support fundraising and business development activities and strategies.
- Ensure the Trustees have the relevant records, materials and deadlines they need to fulfil their roles, supported by the Secretary.
- Take urgent action (but not decision making unless authorised) between Board meetings when it isn’t possible or practical to hold a meeting.
- To undertake all duties in accordance with the Trustees Terms of Reference and the Articles of Association (governing document) at all times.
Preferable Qualities & Skills
- Knowledge and experience of Charity governance.
- Experience with business development and scaling start-up and/or membership organisations
- Experience sitting on, managing or chairing a Board of Trustees.
- Good communication and facilitation skills.
- Ability to develop trusting and compatible relationships with the Board of Trustees and Directors.
- Understanding of impact measurement and passion for driving impact.
- Ability to support the creation and implementation of effective fundraising strategies.
- Passionate and/or knowledgeable about nature, regenerative practices, farming and ecosystem restoration.
To apply: we are requesting a short statement in response to the role description, including an outline of why you are suitable and what you could bring to the position. We welcome additional information, including attachments or links to work. You may then be invited to an informal conversation before a more structured discussion or interview with the Board if both parties feel as though the candidate is suitable. Initiative Earth is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from anyone who feels they might be a good fit for the position.
To apply, please submit an expression of interest to Ruby Reed by email: firstname.lastname@example.org